Thursday 29 October 2020

From Strangers to Friends

 Day 29, #OctPoWriMO2020


I love to travel and the picture of the railroad track certainly brought back fond memories of those long journeys I used to take during the holidays as a child. Missing those memorable moments when fellow passengers not only shared home cooked food, but also stories . Those journeys have never been boring and many a times I have seen strangers parting as friends with promises of being in touch. 

The poem today is like reliving those happy moments.

Form: Free Verse.


From Strangers to Friends


It was a bright Sunny morning

The air crisp and fresh

The dew drops glittering with joy

Wished me Good Bye

As I boarded the train for a long journey forth

My heart skipped a beat

The engine purred into action

My journey had begun.

Eager, excited, I Looked out of the window

As my city was left behind

Trees, valleys, meadows danced along

And the train chugged ahead.

The metal wheels moved in full swing

While the track paved the way ahead

Dollops of white clouds embraced the clear blue sky

Smiling I believe, happy as I

The compartment was full 

Fellow passengers going to different destinations

But at the moment entwined together

Conversations flowed like the free flowing river

Stories , laughter, food …..shared and enjoyed

There sat an old lady, 

sharing stories as old and 

Intriguing as the wrinkles on her skin

The group a furlong away was singing happily

College students , I believe

The children played and made a delightful

Combination of colors and patterns

Of happy faces, faces which cannot be forgotten

The pages of my diary gets filled

With sketches of the happy moments

Which I know I will cherish, always.

Today as I sit and travel to those good old days

The old diary sits on my lap

How I wish I could go back

To those nomadic days

When I met strangers

But parted as friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment