Saturday 21 October 2017

The Old Banyan Tree

Day 21: #OctPoWriMo : Nothing remains the same

Attempted poetry form: abecedarian.

The concept today gave me the opportunity to re visit my childhood where I certainly went with high hopes of finding everything  unchanged but was amazed to see the alteration . It certainly made me realize that "Nothing remains the Same!"



Another year almost tumbling to a culmination

But I, sit here near the window sill lost
Clinging to the memories of my childhood
Dear to my heart, yesterday, today and always
Eager for a home-coming, but that seems like a dream
Frolicking across the terrain of memories
Gathered during my last visit
Happiness knew no bounds as I landed on home ground
Instantly my spirits lifted up and I felt determined
Jumping, running I covered the last few yards towards my home
Knocked on the old wooden door with delight- I visualized
Lo and behold! What did I find?
Moments later I realized that I still didn’t reach
No, wait a minute, my mind quizzed
Over there was a park just near where I lived
Playfulness of happy children filled the air during the evenings
Quiet, it was very quiet as the scene had changed!
Rows and rows of buildings stood there silent!
Somewhere down the lane stood a banyan tree
The same tree that had been our playmate innumerable times
Up we climbed, played hide and seek behind its thick trunk!
Vivid are those memories still, alive but cannot be re-lived!
Wondering what happened to those days?
asphyXiated stood there lost in a reverie
Year long wait to re- visit childhood cut short
Zealously the childish mind hopes that all will be same once again!








2 comments:

  1. You did a great job with the form, Amrita, and telling a story. I loved the internal conversation. Thank you. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story. I can relate to it so much!
    But I also liked how you used the form and still gave us a story that flowed.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete